So, I’m starting a 2-part series aimed at helping you choose your next iPad for your business.
In today’s show, I’ll make my best to answer the following question: “To which extent can we, Macpreneurs, use an iPad as a laptop replacement and specifically MacBooks?”
In the next episode, I’ll go through the entire iPad line to help you pick the best one for your needs.
Here is how I’ve structured this episode: First, I’ll explore the similarities between the iPad and the MacBook, then I’ll go over the distinct advantages that both platforms have before drawing my conclusions.
Motivation & References
- Canvas episode from Oct 26, 2018: “#73: Future of iPad – Software”
- Canvas episode from Nov 9, 2018: “#74: Future of iPad – Hardware“
- MacPowerUsers episode from March 17, 2019: “#474: Using the iPad as a Laptop“
Similarities between iPad & MacBook
- Battery life
- Processing speed
- Internal storage (up to 1TB for iPad Pro)
- Keyboard shortcuts (when iPad paired with a Bluetooth keyboard)
Advantages of iPad over MacBook
- Touch screen
- Apple Pencil support
- Cellular option (MacBook needs to be tethered)
- 8 & 10-inch screen size options (smallest MacBook is 12 inch)
- iOS is a more stable operating system with fewer failure points than macOS (less need to troubleshoot and usually easier to do)
Advantages of MacBook over iPad
- Cursor & trackpad
- Multiple windows & desktops
- 15-inch screen & 4TB SSD option
- CPU & GPU options for 15-inch model
- iOS = asset & liability
- Asset: App ecosystem, one or two apps at a time, touch & pencil
- Liability: No cursor & trackpad (hands tied)
- iPad is not yet a true MacBook replacement option but it’s complementary and can do things that a MacBook cannot do at the moment.
And you, what experience do you already have using an iPad instead of a MacBook?
Please let me know by leaving a comment below.
Free Email Course
Every day for 1 month, receive actionable tips that will make you more productive using your Apple devices.
The first lesson of this course will help you launch applications faster.